Here’s the first article on how to make a Skill Check and create items.
And here’s the second article on how to improve and learn new skills.
Alchemists are very useful additions to the party, since they can create useful potions and curatives for the party during downtime. An experienced Alchemist can even create potent poisons and combine the effects of potions safely. It’s also one of the few crafting professions that replicate magical effects that one doesn’t need to be a caster to be useful. An Alchemist just needs to deduce the method of brewing of a potion in order to replicate it.
Major Stat: INT Minor Stat: WIS
Rank 1: Requires a laboratory with tools and equipment that costs 150gp initially. Further Ranks require upgrades to the lab.
- Make a skill check to create non-magical curatives. It takes one day of work per curative. If you work for a week making curatives, it counts as two weeks of training towards Rank 2.
- Can create alcoholic spirits. Beers require no check, but strong liquors require a skill check. The creation time varies, but at least a week.
- Make a skill check at -1 to learn a magic potion. Must destroy a potion of that type as a sample and spending twice the normal time and money to replicate it the first time. Cannot brew additional magic potions yet.
- Curatives are derived from a pdf I use sometimes called Esoteric Equipment.
- Can create curatives and alcoholic drinks without a skill check. The time required is still the same.
- Make a skill check to learn a magic potion. This is done by destroying a sample, spending twice the time and money to replicate it the first time. Further replications of that potion are created as normal and requires a skill check.
- If the character casts spells, can create a potions using 1st level spells, as appropriate, by spending twice the time and money to create it the first time. Further replications of that potion are created at half the time and money. Creating potions requires a skill check.
- Make a skill check to create potions using any appropriate spell they can cast. As usual, creating it the first time requires twice the time and money.
- All learned potions require half the time and cost.
- Potions based on spells 3rd level or lower require no skill check to create.
- At the DM’s discretion, the Alchemist can create poisons with a skill check. If an 8 is rolled on the skill check, the Alchemist is exposed to the poison and he must Save vs Poison to avoid the effect. Of course, an Assassin has no chance of exposure. Learning a poison works the same as learning a potion.
- Can learn and create any potion without a skill check. Learning a potion requires the no additional time and money to replicate or research and doesn’t destroy the original sample.
- Make a skill check to combine two potions together so they provide both effects. The check is done secretly by the DM and failure may be disastrous or beneficial (see Mixing Potions in the SRD).
- At the DM’s discretion, the Alchemist can make a skill check to create a potent poison that has an additional -2 to Save against. The poison costs twice as much and takes twice as long to make. In addition, he can no longer be exposed when making an ordinary poison.
Animals Trainers are useful in dealing with wildlife and in improving the behaviors of animals the party might make use of. In the long term, they are the most likely to be riding an exotic mount or make a fortune training one for someone else.
Major Stat: CHA Minor Stat: STR
- Can train a dog, cat, horse, or bird a few basic tricks with no check.
- Make a skill check to train a dog or horse to fight or a bird to be a messenger.
- Make a skill check to calm down an angry or frightened domesticated animals.
- Make a skill check at -1 to calm down an angry or frightened wild animal.
- Can train a dog to fight (and other combat tricks), a bird to ferry messages, and a horse to charge without a check.
- Make a skill check to calm a wild animal or to tame a wild horse, dog, or other normally domesticated animal.
- Make a skill check at -1 to calm down an angry or frightened magical animal.
- Choose a type of animal, even fantastical ones like griffon or dragon. You are an expert in training that sort of animal from birth to fight and/or accept a mount.
- Make a skill check to calm down any animal, common or magical.
- Choose another type of animal to specialize in.
- Make a skill check to cut the training time of any animal in half.
- 1/day, the Trainer may Speak With Animals. Does not require a check.